Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Media Making Mountains out of Mole Hills...Again

Today I read a post about Mommies combining Happy Hour with Play Dates. This was a topic discussed on a nationwide morning show. I will not mention the name of the show because in my view a parent should not give attention to a child or other for negative behavior. My friends and I would not have alcohol served during a play date due to Society’s ever critical eye. There are people who abuse alcohol on a daily basis and could never handle drinking and watching their children (mothers AND fathers alike).

However, I do not object to how these mothers are enjoying their social time. They seem to be very loving parents who know their limits. As long as they are handling everything in a safe manner then why is it considered bad form?

Just because they have a drink in front of their children does not make them horrid parents. I know several parents who go out for a night on the town and come home after having a few too many. Sure, their children are with a baby sitter while they are out. Yes, the children are asleep when the parents come home. What if, God forbid, something should happen in the middle of the night? What about the morning when the parents are hung over and the parent who stays home still has to take care of the kids all day. You cannot tell me the day is going to be a wonderful day for the children or the parent. Why pick on Mothers having a social drink in the afternoon?

The media has a way of twisting things to hit as many hot buttons as possible. Controversy and making simple issues into sensationalism is how they up their ratings. What better subject than Parenting to bring out every angle and get people all riled up? People parent in different ways based on the specific needs of each individual child, culture, economic status, religion, family history and an abundance of other elements too numerous to list. No matter how you choose to parent your child(ren) there will be others who would do it differently. Not just different, but tear you a new one for not doing it their way. If you ask for advice on one subject you are bound to receive more than ten different views of the perfect solution. Think about how many new mothers roll their eyes at the advice of their own mothers. I know I did my share of eye rolling when I was a new mother.

I used to respect Meredith V but I now have a different view of her. How dare she take a fellow Mother and treat her like that! I was unaware the new network which hired her operated in this manner. This is not Maury or the Jerry Springer Show. They really duped this mother and shamefully

If Dr. Janet wants to ban mothers from a social drink at a play date here are a few others to add to her list:

Home Super Bowl parties
Any public Major League game
Family Barbeques
Christmas Dinner
Thanksgiving Dinner
Company Picnics
College Graduation dinner with Champagne toast
Weddings

The list goes on and on! I however do not have the same views as Dr. Janet. I will continue to take my children along with me for family outings and social events with my friends.

My view on others' parenting skills? I may not agree with everyone on how they raise their children but I will never say my way is the only way to do it right. To Melissa, I hope you see what a wonderful mother you are and say the heck with those who are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Your play dates are working for you and your friends. You are not the extremists (sloppy drunk), the radicals (uneducated, too quick to jump evil women) are worried about.

Loved this quote from BlondeMomBlog

“Mothers are an influential demographic, shaping everything from morning news show programming to advertising campaigns. This article notes that moms control more than 80 percent of household spending. This would be the perfect chance for a winery to bottle a 'Mommy’s Timeout' line. Hey, I’d buy it.”

I would buy a case just so I could give a bottle to each of my dearest friends on Mother’s Day!

Other bloggers who reacted:
Lahdeedahsworld

Silicon_Valley_Momms

Suburban Bliss (Mom who was Ambushed by the show)

2 comments:

Pageant Mom said...

This is so funny...I mean, as a pageant mom I could NEVER relate to the media blowing something that they are misinformed about blowing it out of proportion...

;o)

Hmmm maybe I should have a glass of wine while I spray tan my kid at the next pageant...

MommasWorld said...

A pageant documentary is usually made by a crew following a few girls and their families for a couple of weeks. Meredith's crew undid this Mom with one afternoon of taping and a little time in the hot seat. Imagine all the material a crew has with two weeks worth of film?