Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving with the Family

After work on Thursday I picked up both of my girls and headed home. Grandma and Grandpa were already there watching TV. Thank goodness I gave them a key to the house on their last visit. This way I did not need to be home when they arrived.

We sat around talked most of the night away in either the family room or dinning room. Snow White gave them the grand tour of the new house forgetting they visited us just a few weeks ago. They ooohed and ahhhed just as they did on their last visit. We staid up pretty late the lot of us! Even Snow White staid up until 11:00 pm. We sat around talking about the past, relatives, funny little things that have happened just recently. Of course it wouldn't be a family gathering if Grandma and Grandpa didn't utter the words "when your Mom was a little girl..." Then all eyes flash over to me and the girls say "Really?" then I smile and nod in concurrence.

Yeah! It's morning!! I rush to wake up the girls shouting "Happy Thanksgiving!! Happy Thanksgiving!! The parade is on! The Thanksgiving Macy's Parade is on!!!" They eventually make it down to the family room and watch the parade with mommy. Grandma and Grandpa come down shortly after. I think it was the smell of sausages that woke them up. Ok, it might have been all my shouting but I want to think it was the sausages.

I was so thrilled when my son called to wish us a happy Thanksgiving! This is the first Thanksgiving since he was born that he was not with me. Him calling me is yet another sign that he is becoming a real honest to goodness adult. I passed the phone around so everyone could talk with him and Uncle. We called my little brother and his family to wish them a happy Thanksgiving and the phone was passed around again.

My sister called, she went to the store to buy a pumpkin pie and to her surprise it was a sweet potato pie. She quickly went back to the store to exchange it. Not wanting to be the only person who ran out to the grocery store on Thanksgiving Day she said I also had to make a last minute run. I did need a news paper and have yet to find a gravy boat so I took Sweet 16 with me to the store. Snow White did not want to come with us as she was in the middle of reading one of her many Magic Tree House books to Grandpa. While we were out Sweet 16 said it would be a good idea to pick up a few DVDs. I was really amazed that anything was open on Thanksgiving Day. Oh, we are still without a gravy boat. Now I have until Christmas to find a new one.

Dinner went off without a hitch! Grandma showed Snow White how to make cornbread. Sweet 16 made the rolls, roasted red potatoes and mashed potatoes while I tended to the turkey and orchestrated the rest of the meal preparation. Everything came out of the oven, off the stove and out of the fridge at just the right time to serve. The china looked beautiful on the table. Snow White's center piece was a big hit! We sat down to our lovely meal and gave thanks for all we have been blessed with over the years and today.

My sister and I talked on and off all through the day. One of her dear friends managed to talk her into going out for a few hours. Sort of a test run for when she went to work on Friday. When she came home Bear was still there and doing fine.

After dinner I mentioned that my sister was coming to my house for Christmas since it would be Bears last Christmas. Grandpa said my brother in TN would be coming for Christmas too. Man Son would be back from TN as well!! Since my sister and brother will be up for Christmas it was decided that everyone would come to my house no later than Christmas Eve and stay over for Christmas. I made sure to tell my little brother that he and his family can either come up with everyone else or just drive up for the day. It would be so nice to have all of us together for Christmas!

We hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday!!

No comments: