Saturday, June 16, 2007

Hats Off to Auntie D !!

This is a very Special Day.

For the past several years my little sister has been putting herself through college. She has endured life crippling events and still pushed forward with her dreams. The latest of such events was finding out Bear had cancer. This was devistating to say the least. Thankfully, he is alive and doing very well considering having had a portion of his lung removed in surgery earlier this year.

My sister and I talk on the phone atleast every other day and for an hour or so during each call. When she started her Masters Degree she was doing very well on her own. Then negative people starting 'putting a bug in her ear'. Her own friends and co-workers started saying "I don't know why you are waisting all your time, energy and money on a degree. You don't need a degree. You don't need all the degrees you have. We don't have degrees and we make good money." I was shocked to hear this and amazed her friends were so unsuportive. Education is very important. It is horrid to belittle someone's effort to further their education.

That is when the crying, angry and worn out calls started. I wanted to smack some sense into those who were constantly trying to bring her down. I know my sister may think I helped her a great deal with her thesis but she did all the work herself. I was basically acting as her sounding board and reminding her that she can accomplish anything. No matter if the phone call started out with tears, anger or words of frustration the call always ended with us laughing.

Before turning in her thesis she sent it to me for one final look over. I thought I was going to cry when I read her dedication page. I am getting misty eyed right now just thinking about it and at this moment I cannot even remember the words. Thank you Auntie D.

Early this morning she called my cell phone. I threw off the covers and started rushing around the house looking for where I might have left it. I finally find it and missed the call. Then my house phone starts ringing and I run back to my bedroom to pick up the phone. For some strange reason it was not working so I run to pick up in the dinning room. By that time the phone stopped ringing and no message was left. Pup saw that I was awake and made it clear it was time for him to go out in the back yard. I went into the bathroom and ...you guessed it, the phone started ringing again. Thoughts of "why is she calling so many times?" went through my head and then I started to worry. What if something is wrong, an emergency! I quickly finish up and rush to the phone. I missed the call ...AGAIN ! This time she left me a message. "I GOT AN "A"!! A FREAKEN "A" CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!! I GOT AN "A"!!

I was so proud of her and very excited for her too!! She called one more time on my cell phone. This time I had my bluetooth on so I was not running around like a crazy person trying to answer a phone. We both screamed and squealed with exitement!! We hoped for at least a passing C and I secretly hoped for her to get high B. She got an A!!! Oh my goodness, this time around she will have the velvet, six sided tam! I am so happy for her! After we settled down from all the excitement we chatted happily for about an hour. Today is a good day!

My sister may not be a movie star or other famous celebrity many have a role models. Come on how many of them are really the type who have there lives together enough to truly be a role model we want for our children. I am not saying all movie actors or celebrities, just that there are so many I do not want as a role model for my children. I know every aspect of my sister's life, everything she has done and all that has happened in her life. No one can say she is not a great role model. She is the person I want as a role model for my children.

CONGRATULATIONS AUNTIE D !! YOU DID IT !! YOU REALLY DID IT !!


I cannot wait to see you in that tam!

3 comments:

Lahdeedah said...

WOOT!

That's great!

You know, I know a lot of people who pooh-pooh degrees but they are more than just an education, they are something that is strived and attained for, and no one else may care as much about that degree as the two of you, but it means the world to have accomplished something like that!

so bah hum bug to them all

and woot and stuff.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

This made me smile from ear to ear! What an amazing accomplishment! I love that you and your sister have such a close relationship and you get so excited for her successes. It reminds me of me and my sister! How beautiful it is to be so supportive of your sister!! Congrats to her!

And I am so happy that her Bear is doing so well. When your babies get sick, it is hard to even function sometimes.

Thanks also for your E-card! That made me smile, too!

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

MommasWorld said...

Aww you two are so sweet! We appreciate the support, Woots and All :-)

Jane, thank you for the email about the Animal Rescue Site.